Sunday, June 2, 2013

Update 6/02/2013 - Part 2

So I have started going through the parts that I have and cleaning them up, here is what I have done this past week:

Center Console

I completely disassembled the center console. The previous owner replaced some switches and there is a couple unfamiliar hole drilled that I think he wanted to add some additional switches. For now I am not going to try and cover the holes but I will mostly putting more switches in the cutout spaces just to fill them.



Front Blinkers

The front blinkers were fairly easy to clean up with exception of these two mounting brackets that had rusted  and could not be used. I replicated them as best as I could by welding a bolt to piece of sheet metal and they turned out pretty good, I painted them white so you wouldn't be able to noticed them through the amber lenses. I washed the housings and I think some of the black undercoating got splattered on the housings because I scrubbed and scrubbed but was not able to get it all off. Maybe I shouldn't have cared but i'm just stubborn. The old and cracking heat shrink was cut off and I wrapped the wires in electrical tape, winding the tape in one direction and again in the opposite direction to make sure no water gets in. I sprayed the rubber seal in WD-40  and let it sit for some time to rejuvenate it and lastly polished the lenses.



Rear Bumper

I discovered that the middle section of the bumper was cut out for some reason! I decided I would take it apart and salvage what I could. After seeing how rusty the inside of the bumper was I soaked it in penetrating oil and started to try and loosen the nuts holding the rubber strip on...*SNAP* the bolt sheared right off! No effort at all. I figured that one wasn't so bad, and tried a second nut, nice and easy now...*SNAP* there goes a second bolt. Now I just want to get the darn thing off and what do you know they ALL sheared off. Next I worked on separating the corner section from the cut middle piece. I won’t go into detail but it ends with me throwing a wrench and trashing the bumper sections!    


Side Marker Lights

The four side marker lights didn't look too bad at first glance but it was a different story when I took the rubber covers off, at least for the front pair. One of the front marker lights was extremely rusty and even had a hole in it. I ended up only working on the two rear marker lights since I am going to need to find another front marker light. Like the other assemblies, I took it completely apart, buffed the chrome, polished the lenses, and rejuvenated the rubber. I wanted to make sure that the housing would stand the test of time so I       POR-15'ed it (doing the 3 step processes).




Dome Light

The dome light really didn't have anything wrong with it, was only a little dusty, But that was enough for me to take it all apart (partly because I wanted to see how everything works). I just washed everything with soap and water, then dried thoroughly. 





No comments:

Post a Comment